Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General Help and Support Features and Functionality RSS
Wanted pages & internal templates?
Two questions regarding features from a DokuWiki newbie
mrmunson #1
Member since Nov 2006 · 3 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Wanted pages & internal templates?
First post so be gentle Ok? :) I've tried seraching for this without finding anything on this so I hope I'm in the safe zone when asking. I am well pleased with DokuWiki in comparison to other Wiki software, but I have a few questions regarding it's features and funktionality.

Two questions then:
1. Does DokuWiki support internal templates (like MediaWiki and some other flavors of Wiki's)? The use of internal templates saves tremendous amounts of work for setting up "This page is still in early stages of development" etcetera.
2. Is there a way to view Wanted pages, i.e., pages that has been called for using internal links but are yet to be started? In a default MediaWiki installation, there's a special page called wanted pages that I like very much from an administrative point of view. It also helps small Wiki communities to see where there is a need for documentation which I think is great.

I am not trying to compare features and funtions between MediaWiki and DokuWiki with this post so don't get me wrong. I am already hooked on DokuWiki which I think is great for what I use it for (mainly for organising my work and writing my personal journal).

Thank you for your time!

Best regards,
MrMunson
andi (Administrator) #2
User title: splitbrain
Member since May 2006 · 3520 posts · Location: Berlin Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Quote by mrmunson:
1. Does DokuWiki support internal templates (like MediaWiki and some other flavors of Wiki's)? The use of internal templates saves tremendous amounts of work for setting up "This page is still in early stages of development" etcetera.

Not out of the box, but there is an "include" plugin which should basically do the same.

Quote by mrmunson:
2. Is there a way to view Wanted pages, i.e., pages that has been called
for using internal links but are yet to be started? In a default MediaWiki installation, there's a special page called wanted pages that I like very much from an administrative point of view. It also helps small Wiki communities to see where there is a need for documentation which I think is great.

I think there is a plugin for this as well.
Read this if you don't get any useful answers.
Lies dies wenn du keine hilfreichen Antworten bekommst.
mrmunson #3
Hi Andy!

And many thanks for the tremendously fast reply! You are absolutely right, there were plugins to introduce this behaviour. I haven't installed them yet but I thought I'd add the links to the respective plugins before doing that.

The Include plugin
This is a very simple yet handy plugin with which you can include another wiki-page into the current one. Simply enclose the wiki-name of the page to be included in double curly brackets...
URL: http://wiki.splitbrain.org/plugin:include

The OrphansWanted Plugin
Use this plugin to find orphan pages and wanted pages.

OrphansWanted show which pages are:

- Orphans (the page exists, but it has no links to it)
- Wanted (the page does not exist, but there are link(s) to it elsewhere on the site)
- Valid (the page exists, and it can be reached through a link)

Each table shows the reference count.
URL: http://wiki.splitbrain.org/plugin:orphanswanted

Again, cheers for the fast reply. I'll try and post some more info on the outcome of my work installing the plugins when I'm done.

Have a great day!
mrmunson #4
Installed the above plugins on my local machine just when I got home from work and it now works like a charm (iow. has the functionality that I wanted). Thought I'd let everyone know so that one can get to know that the solution above actually works before carrying out the installations of the plugins.

All the best,
Munson
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2020-02-17, 07:50:54 (UTC +01:00)