for the untrained
icekatze #1
User title: carbon based
Member since Sep 2009 · 1 post
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Running PHP as PHP-CGI
hi hi

I've been trying to install DokuWiki on rented server space, but was not able to run it normally without giving everyone write permissions, bad idea I know.

I wrote my friendly server support and got this reply:
The best thing to do is to run php as php-cgi.  This means that the PHP process runs as you instead of as the apache user.  You can then restrict permission to the directories/files pretty tightly and only give yourself access.
Considering that I haven't been able to find any documentation anywhere on how this is done, I assume that it is probably a task so simple that people will think I'm an idiot for even asking.

I'll ask it anyway:  How does one run php as php-cgi?

Thanks
andi (Administrator) #2
User title: splitbrain
Member since May 2006 · 3509 posts · Location: Berlin Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Since you're on hosted webspace and your hoster suggests to do that, I assume that your hoster does have a simple config option somewhere in your account's preferences. If you can't find it ask you friendly hoster again.
Read this if you don't get any useful answers.
Lies dies wenn du keine hilfreichen Antworten bekommst.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2020-01-18, 12:15:39 (UTC +01:00)