Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: Community dokuwiki.org RSS
Why does dokuwiki.org not use a sidebar?
Transistor #1
Member since Feb 2007 · 42 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Why does dokuwiki.org not use a sidebar?
I'm just wondering ...

I use dokuwiki with Arctic template on a couple of sites and find Arctic's sidebar it useful for navigating and seeing the general layout of the site. I find dokuwiki.org difficult to navigate without the index and I'm sure I have missed many useful pages because I don't know the pages are there.

Why would one not use a sidebar with navigation / menu?
daor79 (Former member) #2
No profile available.
Link to this post
I'm just wondering ...

I use dokuwiki with Arctic template on a couple of sites and find Arctic's sidebar it useful for navigating and seeing the general layout of the site. I find dokuwiki.org difficult to navigate without the index and I'm sure I have missed many useful pages because I don't know the pages are there.

Why would one not use a sidebar with navigation / menu?
the default Dokuwiki template does not include an optional sidebar. In order to get a sidebar, you need to go out an install one of the custom user-written templates.
Transistor #3
I know. I've done it.

So why would one not use a sidebar with navigation / menu? Why doesn't dokuwiki.org use one?
carmenmbr #4
Member since Nov 2009 · 26 posts · Location: Madrid, Spain
In reply to post #1
Hi Transitor,
I'm not sure if you want to create a new menu more friendly......
If this is the case, you can use a sidebar (menu) with dokuwiki, you just need to do or create a new page with sidebar's name and put the pages's link that you want.

Bye, sorry by my english... :-)
Carmen
carmenmbr #5
Member since Nov 2009 · 26 posts · Location: Madrid, Spain
In reply to post #3
sorry, to do that......... ;-) , you need use sidebar template.
Transistor #6
Gracias, Carmenmbr. I see you are from Spain and English is not your first language. Thank you for trying to help.

I have Arctic with sidebar on my website. It is very good. My question is: Why does dokuwiki.org (and other websites) not use a sidebar? If they did it would be much easier to navigate the site.
iainhallam #7
Member since May 2008 · 31 posts
I run several sites without sidebars and a few with. In my experience, a simple site doesn't need one, and it can get in the way of showing a user around the page. I do often have horizontal "section" navigation, though. With a Wiki especially, it is often the point that the site is unstructured, with plenty of cross-linking between pages providing the navigation.

To take your question about dw.org, I think it's possible some sort of persistent navigation breaking the Wiki into sections would be useful, but not necessarily as a sidebar. I guess Andreas is happy with the existing index pages like http://www.dokuwiki.org/dokuwiki and http://www.dokuwiki.org/manual.

- Iain.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2019-05-24, 09:29:01 (UTC +02:00)