Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General Help and Support Syntax and Usage RSS
Reverting Angua (with vector) because image float behavior changed badly
pokrface #1
Member since Nov 2011 · 6 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Reverting Angua (with vector) because image float behavior changed badly
I'm going to have to revert back to Rincewind and stay with it because Angua + vector has introduced crazy layout behavior that I can't work around.

Specifically, with Rincewind, if I had several images on a line like so:

{{image-1|}}
{{image-2|}}
{{image-3|}}

...followed by some text, and I wanted the text to start *below* the images and not be stupidly smooshed over to the right, I could add a horizontal rule after the images.  The rule would force the text to start on a new line below the images.  In this way, I could stack up two or six or twelve or however many images in a line which would flow to as many lines as necessary with the browser width, and not totally screw up the text layout.

However, with Angua, this behavior has changed and the images float over the horizontal rule. I do not want this, because now there is no way to display a row of images--every image has to be aligned left or right or center by inserting whitespace in the curly braces.  Most pages in my wiki have several images which need to be displayed on a line, not with each on a newline.

Workarounds I have already tried:
1)  Using the Wrap plugin and enclosing the images in wrap clear tags to eliminate image floating. This does not work because doing so breaks the Imagebox plugin and all the enclosed images lose their boxes and captions.
2)  Inserting a ton of force newlines (\\ ) after the images to force text to flow downward.  This works but is horribly hacky and ugly, and the number of newlines have to be changed if the image size or caption size ever change. There's got to be a better way.
3)  Screwing around with making images centered or left-aligned.  I'm either too stupid to figure out how to make an entire *group* of images all share an alignment on a single line, or there's no way to do so.

I could really use some assistance, because I've been tearing my hair out over this for the past hour.  Just about every single page on my wiki is affected--it's gone from looking nice and proportional to looking like a 3rd grader did the layout, with mangled columns of text squashed by images all over the place.

Unless you guys can suggest any other ideas, I'm reverting. Angua doesn't appear to introduce any security updates (at least, nothing major that I could see on bugs.dokuwiki.com), so I don't think I'll be missing on any critical fixes.
Andreas (Moderator) #2
Member since Dec 2009 · 264 posts · Location: Karlsruhe, Germany
Group memberships: Global Moderators, Members, Super Mods
I cannot reproduce this. Are you really sure that there is no space in your image syntax ("{{image-1|}}" vs "{{ image-1|}}")? Which version of vector are you using?

I tried the following Wiki markup on a fresh Angua rc2011-11-10 installation:

====== Testing image float ======
This is some text. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores.

{{:wiki:dokuwiki-128.png|}}

This is some text. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et.

Results (screenshots):
I'm so electronic I shit bits
pokrface #3
I've located the problem.  I'm using the imagebox plugin to render wikipedia-style caption boxes around images.  If I remove the plugin (which I must do by deleting the directory, as the plugin manager simply takes me back to the wiki start page if I press any of its buttons), then images float correctly.  With imagebox, things are broken.

This is also a deal-breaker, as I don't want to give up imagebox, so I'll stay reverted until imagebox is updated, if it ever is.

For reference, though, here are the steps taken to reproduce, and also screenshots and code snippets:

I'm using the 2011-11-29 release of vector, though I upgraded from 2011-05-10.  If I try 2011-11-29 on Rincewind, the layout works as expected, with the HRs correctly slicing through the float and confining the images where they're supposed to be. On Angua, I get weirdness.

The problem behavior manifests on Angua after upgrading and deleting the cache directory contents, forcing the pages to be re-rendered.  Here is a screenshot of a page under Rincewind, and here is the same page under Angua with the problem behavior.

You can view the page yourself, if you like, here:  http://www.bigdinosaur.org/mcwiki/wiki/genesis_base

Here's a snippet of code of one of the image sections displaying bad floating behavior:

==== Notable Features ====

The base consists of several hollowed-out sections inside of Genesis Plateau, as well as several attached structures. The most prominent features are the front facade, the [[wik:barracks]], the [[wiki:genesis_flag|Genesis Flag]], and the developed top of the plateau itself. The two external view pictures provide a good overview of the structure.

[{{:wiki:gb:gb-above-day.jpg?direct&300|Bird's eye view of the base during the day. Rail lines stretch off right to the [[wiki:arcology|Arcology]], bottom to the [[wiki:spawn_point|spawn point]] and [[wiki:ice_hole_valley|Ice Hole Valley]], and left to the [[wiki:cathedral_of_nirin|Cathedral of Nirin]]}}]
[{{:wiki:gb:gb-above-night.jpg?direct&300|The same point of view at night. Note the extent of torches and the lit top of Genesis Plateau and the [[wiki:genesis_flag|flag]] at right, designed as a beacon to help visually locate the base day or night}}]

----

The upper portion of the facade contains a small attic space, inside of which is a small circular powered rail track with a pair of minecarts endlessly looping. This small track serves no real purpose, but hopping on it and riding around in a circle looks hilarious and can be used to great comedic effect. The track was used as the basis for the [[wiki:retard-o-tron|Retard-o-Tron]], inside the main structure.

Just behind the facade is the first of two rail terminuses (termini?), which can be used to launch minecarts to the Cathedral of Nirin, the spawn point, or Ice Hole Valley. Spare minecarts are kept in the chest labeled "Take a minecart, leave a minecart."

[{{:wiki:gb:gb-attic.jpg?direct&300|Entrance to the facade attic}}]
[{{:wiki:gb:gb-railstation.jpg?direct&300|The mini-retard-o-tron}}]
[{{:wiki:gb:gb-attic-rot-test.jpg?direct&300|Rail terminus to the Cathedral of Nirin, the spawn point, or Ice Hole Valley}}]

----

The main entrance opens into a multi-story foyer, with temporary sleeping, crafting, and storage facilities immediately inside for players to use without having to go any deeper into the base. After the door was constructed, these work surfaces were the very first items crafted and placed in the structure. There is a balcony that looks out into the foyer from the library on the second floor, and the moss cobblestone columns are constructed from stone harvested from a series of dungeons that were found inside Genesis Plateau and destroyed.
Andreas (Moderator) #4
I'll have a look at it ASAP, maybe you can fix this by adding some simple CSS to vector/user/screen.css.
pokrface #5
In reply to post #3
Update!!  I can recreate the problem with vector 2011-11-29 on Rincewind, too.  The reason it wasn't showing up before this is because I hadn't cleared the dokuwiki cache before reloading the page.  Oops :)

So, this appears to be a vector 2011-11-29 + imagebox conflict.

Will take a peek at the vector CSS right now.  Thanks so much for helping!!  :) :)
Andreas (Moderator) #6
This is not a imagebox issue/conflict. The current vector release is just missing some CSS for horizontal rules (<hr> tag)... somehow got lost during restructuring/code re-factoring :blush:. Next release of vector (and monobook) will include a fix.

@pokrface: I sent you a hotfix by PM. Please give me feedback if you got some time to make sure it really works.
This post was edited 2 times, last on 2012-05-04, 07:38 by Andreas.
pokrface #7
Yep, everything works, as we've confirmed.  Thanks very much for your efforts!!
Andreas (Moderator) #8
I just released vector and monobook 2011-12-10, containing the mentioned fix. :-)
This post was edited on 2011-12-10, 18:04 by Andreas.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2017-09-21, 01:49:32 (UTC +02:00)