cihans #1
Member since May 2007 · 6 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Wiki for my University [SOLVED]
Hi,
My university management made a decision to increase article writing skills of
students and create an online library.
Everyweek every student should write at least 3 articles mostly about one subject
to online library.
Which means nearly 9000-10000 entries per day, or nearly 40K daily searches of articles.
After 3 months university will open this library to public and other national universities this will
boom searching (but public and other unis. can only make
searches, they cannot make entries).

MediaWiki seems to be a good option for me, but i have seen one integration of Dokuwiki to joomla,
openwiki. I think joomla will increase usability with some extensions.

My question is ;
Can i make this project with OpenWiki? or can a file based wiki handle very high amount of searches?
Please i want to see all of your ideas about the capasity and project. 
I currently have 2 servers Intel Core 2 Duo Processors 2.13 Ghz with Centos installed
Each have 2 gb RAM
This post was edited on 2007-05-25, 00:41 by cihans.
cihans #2
Subject: 2 suggestions
i am writing this just for fun

i  have written a posts and see that this forum is not used too heavily by community members.

Then there can be 2 probabilities according to me

Less than 50% DokuWiki is too bad that no one wants to use this, d'loaders don't want to come back.
More than 50% DokuWiki is so perfect that noone needs more support after downloading and running.
chi #3
Member since Jun 2006 · 1851 posts · Location: Munich Germany
Group memberships: Members, Super Mods, Wiki Managers
I think DokuWiki isn`t the right choice for a project of this dimensions (you`re talking about 9000-10000 new pages a day and 40k searches). Have a look at the scalability page [1] and the experiences page [2] to get a quick overview.

HTH

[1]http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:experiences:scalability
[2]http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:experiences
Please add [SOLVED] to the initial thread subject if you feel your question has been answered.
If my answer doesn't make sense maybe your question didn't either - just visit http://facepalm.org.
cihans #4
thanks chi
pchan #5
Member since Apr 2007 · 111 posts · Location: Lille, France
Chi, you are right: once dokuWiki users downloaded the webware, they don't need to come back to discuss.
It's really very solid!

In my opinon, there are too many WIKIs available today, and the choice is not easy.
I like dokuWiki because of the huge possibility of extension (via different types of plugin)
and that they have been implemented by lots of people not in the core team.
- DokuWiki is very well documented and people can readily extend it.

I choose dokuWiki because I wanted a base for adding new functions.
The file storage could cause severe hard disk fragmentation, as compared to DB storage.
- see http://forum.dokuwiki.org/thread/621

I hope one day, dokuWiki can give users the option to use file or db, in a major release where the
existing plugins need to be rewritten with a new I.O. API. It's not very difficult technically.

Any comments ?
andi (Administrator) #6
User title: splitbrain
Member since May 2006 · 3509 posts · Location: Berlin Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Quote by pchan on 2007-05-27, 16:14:
I hope one day, dokuWiki can give users the option to use file or db, in a major release where the
existing plugins need to be rewritten with a new I.O. API. It's not very difficult technically.

Database discussion split off to separate thread
Read this if you don't get any useful answers.
Lies dies wenn du keine hilfreichen Antworten bekommst.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2020-01-18, 12:38:46 (UTC +01:00)