Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General Help and Support Server Setup RSS
dokuwiki very slow in comparison with forum
K-Ray #1
Member since Nov 2012 · 8 posts · Location: Gent - Belgium
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: dokuwiki very slow in comparison with forum
At home we are running a small server on a sheevaplug (ARM embedded debian).
Until now we saved topics on a fluxbb forum, but I want to switch to dokuwiki.
I have managed to convert all topics to dokuwiki.
Now I can compare and working with dokuwiki is much slower than the forum.
I can't find what is causing this delay. Is it working with text files in stead of DB? Is it the indexing process? Or some features?
Any idea where to start looking? Can I switch something off a piece without breaking the whole wikiprocess?
It's only for intranet use and I don't need all functionality.
So I would like to know wich part of the processes in the scripts can cause sever delays so I can try to exclude this piece one way of another.

If anyone could be help me in this one, that would be appriciated.
I'm looking for this for a long time and haven't found the right answer yet.
Why use Windows since there are doors.
This post was edited on 2013-05-08, 12:49 by ach.
K-Ray #2
nobody has a clue?
hArpanet #3
Member since Feb 2013 · 17 posts
In reply to post #1
I can't be of specific use to you K-Ray as I'm a new user myself, but the only time I've found DW slow is after I've deleted all the media content and cache, which DW then takes time to rebuild for each page as I visit it. Not really a problem as it only happens once.

To answer your first question, yes, DW is working entirely with text files. There is no database involved unless a plugin you have installed requires one. This is definitely a strength of DW.

How 'standard' is your DW install?  (What plugins have you added; are there and code modifications you've made)

For the topics you have converted, have you switched on 'Enable HTML' or 'Enable PHP' in the Admin settings, and if so are the topics doing anything time intensive?

Do you have 'nice URLs' enabled and have you created a .htaccess file to  handle them?

As you're running an intranet, you could/should disable the DNS lookup feature in Admin->Configuration Manager->Network Settings.

If you are capable of editing the source code (make a copy of doku.php first so you can recover if you have a problem), then you could place some timing info into doku.php...

Place this in the line directly after //  xdebug_start_profiling();  (should be line 15) ...
   $mtime = microtime();
   $mtime = explode(" ",$mtime);
   $mtime = $mtime[1] + $mtime[0];
   $starttime = $mtime;

Then place this at the end of the file, directly after //  xdebug_dump_function_profile(1); ...
   $mtime = microtime();
   $mtime = explode(" ",$mtime);
   $mtime = $mtime[1] + $mtime[0];
   $endtime = $mtime;
   $totaltime = ($endtime - $starttime);
   echo "<div style='text-align:center;'>This page was created in ".$totaltime." seconds</div>";

That will tell you how long each page is taking DokuWiki to create. On a PHP server, mine typically shows: This page was created in 0.0536398887634 seconds
K-Ray #4
Thanks for the tip. I have done some testing and these are the results.

On the same server:
dokuwiki with all used features generated a page in 1.3 to 2.1 seconds
'virgin' installed dokuwiki does it in 0.5 to 1.2 seconds
pmwiki does it in 0.55 to 0.57 seconds
lionwiki takes 0.14 seconds
and fluxbb 0.067 seconds to generate the same content!
Ok the latter isn't a wiki, but still this is a major difference in time to take a text and present it in a webpage.

Still my question stays the same: which part of the script takes so much time?
Anyway to find out?
lupo49 (Moderator) #5
Member since Jul 2009 · 1399 posts · Location: Warstein, Germany
Group memberships: Global Moderators, Members, Super Mods
Please answer the following question first:

How 'standard' is your DW install?  (What plugins have you added; are there and code modifications you've made)

and which template are you using?

Try disable all plugins and change the template back to the default one and measure the processing time again.
K-Ray #6
As you can read I have installed a new 'standard' dokuwiki separatly and indeed is somewhat faster but not against the other scripts so still looking why this delay on dokuwiki.
K-Ray #7
In reply to post #5
one install is with a lot of plugins and modifications so I did try a standard install. Read the timings on the 'virgin'.
It is quicker but way off the other wikis and fluxbb.

and which template are you using?
For the test I used the new standard dokuwiki template.

Try disable all plugins and change the template back to the default one and measure the processing time again.
If you read my post above again you will see I already did that and the result is somewhat better but still not that fast.
hArpanet #8
Member since Feb 2013 · 17 posts
@K-Ray, is the content you are loading on the page *very large* with lots of markup?

Can you post the content here so I can test on my install?

However, even from the timings you have shown, it suggests the delay may be with your server/webhost where you're running DW (I'm not familiar with sheevaplug). Are you able to check the access and error logs to see what is being reported?
ach (Administrator) #9
Member since May 2006 · 1946 posts · Location: Folkestone, UK
Group memberships: Administrators, Members, Super Mods, Wiki Managers
It's really difficult to find what's causing something like that without all the necessary information (or even access).
Another idea: Maybe it's talking to the outside world which is the problem... Try disabling the updatecheck configuration setting.
K-Ray #10
In reply to post #8
Quote by hArpanet on 2013-05-21, 21:16:
@K-Ray, is the content you are loading on the page *very large* with lots of markup?
That should not be the issue. It's a very standard text file with 5 subtitles, 1 small summary list and 1 bold line.
However, even from the timings you have shown, it suggests the delay may be with your server/webhost where you're running DW (I'm not familiar with sheevaplug). Are you able to check the access and error logs to see what is being reported?
That is what I try to establish here. I have tried several wiki scripts and a forum. I would like to find out what is DW doing different that takes so much time on this device?
I will check into the error logs.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2019-12-06, 08:44:45 (UTC +01:00)